- Dalit girl beaten brutally because her shadow fell on upper caste man. Two Dalit boys killed for not having change for Rs 4.
- Dalit girl’s hand burnt for asking upper caste man to lower volume of music. Dalit man crushed because an upper caste man didn’t like his mobile ringtone.
- Several Dalit women and girls gang-raped. All of this in just last one month.
- In 2013, overall, there was a 17.1% increase in crimes against Dalits.
- The Prevention of Atrocities against Scheduled Castes and Tribes Act has not curbed violence against Dalits.
- Number of cases pending under the Act: 84.1%.
- Only 5% of total cases result in conviction, and the rate is declining steadily.
- Dalit coalition NCPSA has suggested major amendments to the current Act.
- Key changes: There should be no need to prove caste as a motivating factor in crime. Hard to prove intention. Identity of victims should be enough.
- Officers should be held responsible for failing to act when crimes against Dalits are reported. Official apathy is a key reason Dalits don’t get justice.
- The scope of the Act should be broadened to include socio-economic boycott, destruction of property, limiting access to opportunities, humiliation of men and women, etc.
- UPA 2 Cabinet cleared the updated Bill in 2013, but it couldn’t be passed in Parliament.
- Ordinance was passed, but Modi govt allowed it to lapse. Then sent it to Parliamentary Standing Committee on Social Justice and Empowerment.
- Committee cleared it late last year with minor changes, but govt hasn’t moved on it yet.
Source – CatchNews